Losing weight is not just about appearance
Excessive weight affects your overall health and puts you at a significant risk of many obesity-associated conditions. The good news is that obesity is preventable and you can take actions to decrease these risks.
Most conventional weight loss programs combine dietary measures, physical activity and lifestyle changes. However, in severe cases of obesity, such approaches do not always provide a sustainable weight loss, which is where bariatric surgery can represent an efficient alternative.
THE BENEFITS OF BARIATRIC SURGERY INCLUDE
- Substantial weight loss
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Normalization of blood pressure
- Long-term remission of type 2 diabetes
- Joint pain relief
- Improved plasma lipid profile
- Reduced risk of certain types of cancer
- Improved fatty liver disease
- Improved obstructive sleep apnea
- Enhanced quality of life
BARIATRICS IN THE MOSTIŠTĚ HOSPITAL
The Obesity and Bariatric Surgery Department of the Mostiště Hospital has been dealing with obesity treatment since 2004. We offer our patients a comprehensive approach of a multidisciplinary team of top professionals in the fields of bariatrics, internal medicine, plastic surgery, psychology, diabetology and gastroenterology.
We specialize primarily in the surgical treatment of obesity, mainly in the form of so-called “sleeve gastrectomy”. Based on its high efficiency, this procedure is currently the most commonly performed bariatric surgery worldwide. Over the past 16 years, we have performed more than 2,000 bariatric operations and thanks to the number of these surgeries performed, our facility now ranks among the leading bariatric departments in the Czech Republic.
Our experts usually perform this surgery using the unique da Vinci Surgical System.
The surgery reduces the volume of the stomach by removing part of it along the greater curvature and changing its shape to a sleeve like structure. Limiting the size of the stomach leads to a substantial reduction in the amount of food intake, resulting in a gradual weight loss. In addition, the removed part of the stomach contains a zone secreting so-called “hungry hormones”, so its removal supports effective weight reduction without a significant feeling of hunger.
The weight range of our patients is on average between 105 and 200 kg. The average weight loss after 1 year from the surgery is approximately 30-50 kg. These results allow us to claim that sleeve gastrectomy is a fully justified and highly effective treatment for obesity, leading to permanent weight loss and a fundamental reduction in the health risks associated with obesity.
The actual hospitalization does not exceed 4-5 days and the recovery time usually takes 2-3 weeks. Frequent check-ups are not necessary during the post-operative and subsequent recovery period. The patient has the first check-up about 2-4 months after the operation, then after six months and eventually only once a year.
OBESITY IS DEFINED BY THE BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO 30
- All patients who have failed classical conservative treatment of obesity and their BMI is greater than 40 are indicated for surgery.
- Patients with a BMI in the range of 35-40 are also indicated for the procedure as long as they have other significant health risks associated with obesity (e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.)
- Until recently, individuals with a BMI of less than 35 could not be indicated for the surgery. Currently though, even such patients may undergo the procedure. These are primarily patients with diabetes who have difficulty in correcting their blood sugar (glycemia). However, their indication for surgery is to be decided by the whole multidisciplinary team.
Dr. Jaroslav Tvarůžek
Medical Director and Head of Surgery
- Dr. Tvarůžek has been actively involved in surgery since the early 1990s.
- He worked as a surgeon in Germany at the beginning of his career and has been back in the Czech Republic since 1994.
- Among the first surgeons to master minimally invasive surgical procedures using the laparoscopic technique, which was new at that time.
- Passed the Medical Board Certificate in Surgery I in 1995.
- Passed the Medical Board Certificate in Surgery II in 1999.
- Passed the Special Examination in Vascular Surgery in 2002.
- He has been one of the pioneers of robotic surgery since 2007, constantly working on its development. He was named a Certified Robotic Surgery Specialist by Intuitive Surgical in 2009, the manufacturer of the da Vinci surgical system.
- As the leading expert in the da Vinci robotic surgery, he put together a team of surgeons and nurses who have carried out more than 4,500 robot-assisted surgeries since 2008, more than any other similar team in the Czech Republic. Each year since then, the team has also performed the most surgeries using the robotic system in the country, making it one of the most experienced teams in all of Europe.
- Dr. Tvarůžek and his team have also been actively engaged in promoting and introducing robotic surgery abroad.
- He has gathered a lot of international experience and completed many internships abroad (e.g. Germany, USA, Austria).
- Since 2008, Dr. Tvarůžek has been the Medical Director of Mostiště Hospital and it is thanks to him that the Robotic Surgery Center he established has become a major success even in the international context.